Monday, December 16, 2013

#23 Hey Momma

Hey Mom,

Well, it is the end and beginning of another 7 days here in Tirona (that is how people from Tirana say Tirana, because we are cool like that. I am really hoping to keep some Tironce in my speaking through my mission and maintain a bit of a hold on my mission roots here.). This last week we had a pretty cool experience, and the first one of its kind for me on the mission here -- Nertila got baptized! It was weird, being as I had not seen anyone enter the waters of baptism before this last Saturday, I had a hard time convincing myself that she was indeed ready for it! But, I successfully did so and was able to see Elder Austin baptize her and the covenants made along with that. The next day I was able to perform the confirmation, which I was pretty nervous about. I mean, I was about to be the mouth for a massive spiritual step in her life...and I am not Albanian, or anything close to it. However, I figured that, seeing as how this is within the will of Heavenly Father, He would indeed help me out so that the Spirit would be unhindered in that Sacrament Meeting. And you know what? He sure did.

This week other than the baptism was pretty rough with lessons and investigators not panning out as we wished for. I guess, what do you do other than try harder again this next week, so we are ready to go out and kill it this week.

I actually had a pretty awesome personal experience last night. At about 15 minutes before we had to head in for the night and end our week's work I was standing in the road and thinking about how much we had not done during the week ( never a thought line you should follow if you want to buoy up your self-esteem). I offered a prayer and just told Heavenly Father what I was feeling. I told Him that I really just wanted to feel like I was contributing something to the missionary efforts in Albania during the past week. I wanted to be able to bear my testimony with power before it was our time to head in to the house; I didn't even require them to be interested, I just really wanted to fulfill my part. That prayer was totally answered and as a bonus we got a number from this guy. Our prayers in faith are totally answered. When you feel like you are at your lowest, turn to your Heavenly Father. When you are at your highest, turn to your Heavenly Father. When you are at any time in between the two, turn to your Heavenly Father.

I got to go on two different exchanges this week. It is always a pretty crazy to see how different people's talents make their way into their missionary work. I am so glad that we don't have to fit into some kind of cookie cutter mold to be a good missionary because I wouldn't be very good at that. We are definitely called into our missions for a reason, so we just have to work to try and fulfill whatever that is.

Love ya everybody and I am so excited to talk to you on Christmas!

Keep it kicking out there! The Book is blue, the Church is true!
Elder Ostergaard

No comments:

Post a Comment